Wednesday, April 1, 2009

A Handmade Spring: Children's Art

I shared a few ideas about children's artwork here during our Handmade Christmas series. Plenty of those ideas would make great Mother's Day and Father's Day gifts this time of year as well. We touched on framing artwork brought home from school (which I still love), but what about creating some of your own?

Grab a blank canvas, some finger paints, and let the little ones go to town! Or if you're looking for something more structured, check this out. With a blank stretched canvas and one color of acrylic paint, let the kids cover the canvas entirely (no doubt, themselves in the process, but what are baths for?) While the paint is still wet, grab those little hands or feet for a quick imprint. I love the simple statement and possibilities with this. A series, one for each family member, one for each child....go have fun!


And to make this project even more special, Amy shared this poem with me....

Sometimes you get discouraged

because I am so small

And leave my little fingerprints

On furniture and walls.

But everyday I'm growing

And soon will be so tall

That all these little fingerprints

Will be difficult to recall.

So here's a little handprint

That you can put away

So you will know how my fingers looked

On this special day.

No comments: